Existential Risk and Fermi's Paradox

From: kevin.osborne (kevin.osborne@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 01:40:00 MDT

recipe for: a little future shock moment.

proposition: take the Anissimov/Yudkowsky view on the seriousness of
Friendly A.I and other existential risks as a given.

empirical observation: as per Fermi. the aether is silent and
lifeless. all other intelligent species on all other near-space
life-supporting worlds have failed to reach uplift.

theory: the galaxy is dead and void. existential risk has proven
lethal and/or progress-suppressive in all prior cases.

prediction: our chances of reaching/surpassing/outliving the
Singularity are negligible -> nil.