Re: STORY: I don't know, Timmy, being God is a big responsibility

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 00:56:52 MDT

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 05:12:44PM -0500, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> On 3/7/07, Gordon Worley <redbird@mac.com> wrote:
> >An additional issue to consider: suppose such a device is
> >constructed, but then as the nesting approaches infinity, the
> >universes converge to a universe where the device is not
> >constructed. In other words, is the space of universes complete?
> >I see no reason why they must be, but then I have a very poor
> >mathematical model of a universe.
>
> Imagining the 10th dimension:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u4CFTZtcXE (part1)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmwrhO3-BN0 (part2)
>
> Simple progression up to 10 dimensions. No advanced math
> required.

Also completely wrong. Time is not the 4th *spatial* dimension, or
the 5th spatial dimension, or any other spatial dimension, and when
physicists talk about theories with 10 dimenions, they're talking
about ten *spatial* dimensions.

The whole thing with referring to time, eroneously, as the 4th
dimension comes from certain things being easier to graph that way,
but other than that, it's simply rubbish.

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://intelligence.org/