Re: bias

From: Joshua Fox (joshua@joshuafox.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 05:58:49 MDT

Michael,

But does it make sense to make bias into the highest priority? Isn't it more
important to find a good design for artificial intelligence than to identify
the problems in something quite different -- human intelligence?

> see that essentially *all* errors are attributable to cognitive biases,

Biases are design features in human brains. They generate errors that
consistently go in a certain direction; there is always some reason for
this, such as computational efficiency.

But cannot there be non-bias errors, those generated by bugs in an
intelligence, e.g. in humans, mental illness and problems caused by brain
damage; or in computers, problems caused by software bugs and hardware
glitches?

It just seems strangely over-ambitious to hope to re-make the entire
scientific method, when a very difficult task but more specific task stands
before us.

Joshua