Measuring(quantifying) morality?

From: Anthony Mak (anthony.mak@iname.com)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 22:01:11 MDT

Dear all,

Does anyone know any work or paper people have done in
the past or present about how to measure (quantify) morality?
The motivation is, for a learning system to learn how to be
moral, I believe it is necessary to have an objective function
to measure how "moral" the machine already are, so that
a machine learning alogorithm can work. Are there any
works for example in philosophy where people attempted
to device scheme/method/framework to measure morality?

At the moment, I can only imagine using some questionaire
type query to attempt to measure a person's "moral IQ",
be it a normal person or machine person.
PS. I guess another approach is to try to find all the +ve
and -ve effects from an agent's actions and try to sum them
up.

Any reference to papers or books or other source will be
extremely helpful.

Anthony Mak