Re: Measuring(quantifying) morality?

From: Olie Lamb (neomorphy@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 22:43:36 MDT

Unfortunately, many elements critical to morality - such as pleasure,
suffering, satisfaction of goals - are inherently awkward to quantify.

Think about the classic stupid question: "On a scale of 1 to 10, how
much does it hurt?"

Hence, one of the earlist areas of utilitarian work, felicific
calculus (go look-see), has been pretty thoroughly caned for its lack
of real-world applicability. Sure, it's useful for illustrating
certain concepts, but it's one helluva challenge to weigh things
objectively.

And you can't easily get a lot of (informed) subjective valuations, either...

("Would you rather lose a finger or an eye?" "Um... *guesses*...eye?"
*Tries removing each to verify*...)

That said, it's something that health providers and triage sometimes
/try/ to do... but not thoroughly. F'rinstance, compare the evidence
for cost-per-life-saved for road safety campaigns vs the
cost-per-life-saved from doing HIV testing on donated blood (road
safety generally much cheaper, but people get scared by HIV), or, say
the cost-per-life of organ transplants vs the cost-per-life-saved for
anti-TB drugs.

-- Olie