Re: Singularitarian demographics

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2006 - 17:11:26 MDT

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 03:40:10PM -0700, Charles D Hixson wrote:
> >That's not true, Windows XP takes much less time to boot up than
> >Windows 95... I think people who have been around for 10 years
> >know pretty well that computers evolved both qualitatively and
> >quantitatively.
> >
> On identical hardware? I'm sorry, but I don't think so. Mind
> you, I don't really have any experience of MSWind XP, so I could
> be wrong, but I *think* you're noticing faster CPUs and disk
> drives.

I can't speak to Win95 vs. WinXP, but WinXP is faster than Win2K on
identical hardware in every case I've tried, unless the hardware has
less than 256MiB of RAM (which is ridiculous on any machine that
runs 2K anyways). It might be faster there too, but I haven't
tried.

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://intelligence.org/