Re: Question: Movies and books about positive AI

From: James MacAulay (jmacaulay@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 22:22:17 MDT

On 6-Aug-06, at 11:25 AM | Aug 6, Richard Loosemore wrote:
> What I mean is, how many times have SF writers (whether in written
> or movie form) created fictional futures in which the AI was not
> the villain?
>
> And within that category, in how many of the cases was the AI
> portrayed as having equal or superior intelligence...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_%28Star_Trek%29

Data isn't well thought out for much of the series, but once he gets
his "emotion chip" in the films, his silly limitations are mostly
forgotten and he becomes more believable. Regardless, he's definitely
a "good guy." Of course, just about every single other A.I. in Star
Trek is definitely not portrayed positively at all.

James