Re: Imposing ideas, eg: morality

From: Charles D Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 19:29:32 MDT

m.l.vere@durham.ac.uk wrote:
> Quoting Phillip Huggan <cdnprodigy@yahoo.com>:
> (on the deepest level) How did you (rationally) convince yourself other people
> are important - other than as a means to the end of better qualia through
> compassion?
I believe that to a large extent this is instinctual. Exactly what the
instinctual triggers are is a little bit fuzzy, however. I know someone
who is (humorously) convinced that her can opener is alive and
conscious. If you question her about it, she's get embarrassed and deny
it...half-heartedly. Intellectually she knows better, but emotionally
it feels true.