Re: the future god, light cones and free will

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 21:16:30 MDT

The "many worlds" interpretation is quite interesting, especially when
applied to modal logic and metaphysics. However I don't think that a block
universe and many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics are necessarily
incompatible. If we take the many worlds interpretation seriously then I
think we must posit that every possibility is a necessity. In other words
all branches of possibility for every space-time/quantum event is realized
in some possible world. This means that if a world is possible then it is
actual. So one might describe this super-verse as the actualization of all
possibility -Being itself. Could not this thing I am calling Being (the
totality and actuality of all possibility) be a kind of block universe, in
as much as all future possibilities would already have been actualized. Or
perhaps the universe just is an actual infinity of possibility that is being
played out and our race and our cosmos is but one of those infinite
possibilities.
Oh well - I suppose that when we succeed in creating super intelligence it
will be able to answer these questions. I just hope the answer isn't 42.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson