Re: Anti-singularity spam.

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2006 - 12:10:35 MDT

Bob,

Just a couple of thoughts.

1) You make reference to previous technology, and to technology curves,
but I (unlike people like Kurzweil) place very little credence in those
curves, and on the previous history of predictions. You cite "the long
history of failed technology predictions," but as I am sure you are
aware, for every book that lists the failed predictions there are dozens
of books that catalog the _negative_ predictions that turned out to be
too pessimistic: Arthur C Clarke's estimate for the first moon landing,
the Wright brothers' pessimism a few months before they succeeded, and
(my personal favorite): Lee DeForest getting prosecuted for fraud
because he said that radio transmission across the Atlantic would soon
be possible..... and then later in life, himself dismissing television
as virtually impossible.

2) To me, as someone working in the field, the failure of SHRDLU and
Deep Blue to lead straight to AI is of no importance whatsoever. You
ask: "Who could look at [SHRDLU] and think that general natural
language interaction with computers was not around the corner?" and I
say: are you serious? I admit that as an early student (c. 1980) I was
impressed by SHRDLU, but it took only a couple of years' work in the
area to reach the point where I realized this was a dead end, and all
the other cognitive scientists around me said the same thing in personal
discussion.

Given what I know of the field, I think that what we are waiting for is
a paradigm shift: a change in the way we think about the problem, after
which it will suddenly seem surprising and comical that we all thought
it was so very difficult. I think this could have happened already,
back in the mid-1980s. I think it could happen tomorrow (literally).
My best guess (just because I like the fun of guessing and being right
:-), not because I am fond of exact predictions) is that the
breakthrough will come in the next five years or so.

Overall, you couch your reply in interestingly evasive language. You
try to imagine the event I described as happening, at best, a lot
further away in the future than we think...... but you avoid saying
whether, *when* it actually occurs, it would be qualitatively different
from all previous technology, for the precise reasons I gave.

If I pressed you on this point, would you not agree that since this
technology would change the fundamental nature of the technology
generation process in the most extraordinary way, it would be completely
different from all that came before it?

Richard Loosemore