RE: Anti-singularity spam.

From: Bob Seidensticker (bob@future-hype.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2006 - 10:46:52 MDT

Richard:

Your Discovery Engine is certainly an interesting idea. Maybe you're right
and it'll come to pass. However, think of the long road that AI has
traveled. I'm sure many on this list know of SHRDLU (1970), Terry
Winograd's natural language project. It was a very simple graphical
interface, but you interacted with it with real English (Wikipedia has a
summary and sample dialog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHRDLU). As an
impressionable college student shortly afterwards, this was pretty amazing
stuff. Who could look at this and think that general natural language
interaction with computers was not around the corner? And yet, it wasn't.
36 years later, it's still a dream.

Deep Blue beat the world chess champion in 1997, but that had been "10 years
away" for close to 50 years.

Of course, you could respond that we may haggle over *when* we will create
this amazing technology, but the *if* is no longer a question. Possibly.
But the when could still be quite far into the future. History has examples
where inventors overreached -- Babbage's Analytic Engine or Da Vinci's
submarine, for example. It's hard to envision the sound barrier (that is,
unexpected and really hard) types of problems that we'll discover on this
road.

I see innovation taking a huge step with the Industrial Revolution. Lots of
things changed at that time. Instead of an exponentially-rising Technology
Change curve through time, I see the graph as a step function -- fairly
constant and fairly small rate of change before roughly 1800, and fairly
constant and fairly large rate of change after roughly 1830 or so. If I
could translate your thoughts into my worldview, you may be envisioning yet
another big step up perhaps 50 years in the future. (I'm just thinking out
loud here, so I could be misrepresenting you.)

Given the long history of failed technology predictions (and the bolder, the
more likely to fail), I remain skeptical. But I applaud the efforts of
those working to make it happen.

Bob