Re: Fwd: We Can Understand Anything, But are Just a Bit Slow

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2006 - 11:04:46 MDT

Dani Eder wrote:

> Well designed depends on the problem you are trying to
> solve. Humans are really good at balancing on 1.25
> legs (the average number in contact with the ground
> when walking) or less (when running), and identifying
> faces. We're crappy at doing logic and floating
> point math.

I've seen a robot that balances in 2 dimensions on two legs, and runs
amazingly fast in a remarkable imitation of human runners, using 20
neurons. Just because humans manage to balance ourselves without too
much awkwardness - as we boast using only our own senses and standards
for comparison - doesn't mean that we're doing it in a way that is close
to optimal from the perspective of computational efficiency.