Re: BLUE GENE and confusion about flops and tops and whistles

From: Neil H. (neuronexmachina@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 17:54:56 MDT

It's thought that the neurons used for interaural time-difference detection
in birds (for sound localization) primarily function as delay lines. Of
course, it's also possible that they have other functionalities besides
providing variable time delays.

Here's a fairly good review paper by McAlpine & Grothe (2003), which also
discusses whether or not a similar circuits is used by mammals:
http://www.gatsby.ucl.ac.uk/~qhuys/texts/jcpapers/mcalpine+grothe2003.pdf