Re: Self Improvement

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 16:38:49 MST

On 1/27/06, Peter de Blanc <peter.deblanc@verizon.net> wrote:

> What is out there that can help you practice generating new concepts?
> Well, there are induction games like Zendo and and Eleusis, which
> (depending on who you are playing with) can lead to many new concepts,
> but these new concepts are usually discarded after the game ends. It has
> been suggested to me that the process of learning games like Go involves
> generating concepts, but this seems very slow to me. Writing science
> fiction seems like it fits here too.

I find roleplaying games are good for this: faster than writing a novel; you
get feedback from other people so there's external pressure to improve and
it's easier to avoid falling into navel-gazing; concepts can be retained for
a long time (and if you play online, e.g. on IRC, you can keep a log of the
thinking that went into them); depending on the chosen subject matter, the
concepts involved can be relevant to whatever areas you're interested in.

- Russell