Re: Hardcore SL4 Technology

From: Rik van Riel (riel@surriel.com)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 11:37:33 MST

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Maru Dubshinki wrote:

> That assumes you aren't playing any tricks with space.
> I find it plausible that if you are really approaching fundamental
> limits of computation like Berkenstein bounds and stuff like that,
> one could easily use wormholes and similarly exotic technology
> to bypass such spatial limits.

Very interesting. I had to think about this for a day
before I grasped (I hope) some of the implications of what
you said.

If you could circumvent Berkenstein bounds by manipulating
spacetime, you could end up creating a higher entropy
situation than the event horizon of a black hole. That is,
for a black hole to swallow your computer, it would have
to decrease entropy or change the nature of its event horizon.

Now what does this mean?
A violation of thermodynamics?
A reason why spacetime can not be manipulated like this?
A limit to the power of computation?

No, I really don't know what it means...