pattern recognition and verification

From: Chris Capel (pdf23ds@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 18 2005 - 15:20:03 MDT

Eliezer has mentioned that some of his current work involves
mathematical correctness verification. Having just finished "The
Singularity Is Near", and its strong emphasis on the use of
self-organizing, complex systems based on understanding the human
mind; I wonder whether it's possible to avoid this systems in an AI
design, or whether verification of these systems of the kind we might
need to guarantee some mathematical correlate of Friendliness is
possible, despite their complexity.

The thing is, from what I understand from visual processing, (and this
may apply on many other levels too,) neural nets are pretty much the
only way we know how to create flexible and reliable pattern/feature
detection.

Chris Capel

--
"What is it like to be a bat? What is it like to bat a bee? What is it
like to be a bee being batted? What is it like to be a batted bee?"