RE: Hempel's paradox redux

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 15:37:01 MDT

FYI,

Just to put the raven paradox to rest, I did a little poking around and
found a paper

http://fitelson.org/ravens.pdf

which does a quite nice job of addressing all the issues that intuitively
bothered me with the traditionally-cited Bayesian analyses of the Raven
paradox.

He shows why the traditional Bayesian arguments depend on unacceptable
assumptions, but then gives a pretty rigorous mathematical analysis based on
fairly minimal assumptions -- it's a nice paper. [In other words, he
criticizes probability theory "as traditionally deployed" in this context,
but does it well ;-) ] *This* kind of probabilistic argumentation is always
convincing to me...

-- Ben