RE: Global Brain as Steward

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 18:57:19 MDT

Hi,

> I would
> argue that lists
> like SL4 and the transhuman movement in general is a precursor to
> the Global
> Brain, where risks are marginalized by interaction between minds.

I have argued just the opposite, though -- that the Global Brain may be a
precursor to the Singularity ... and that this particular route to the
Singularity may be one of the safer possible paths...

See e.g.

http://www.goertzel.org/dynapsyc/2004/PositiveTranscension.htm#_4._Singulari
ty_Stewardship

Now, this doesn't mean that the post-Singularity world won't have some
Global-brain-ish aspects. It might well. I suspect that post-Singularity
we will see some sort of unified mind, as opposed to the fragmentation of
intelligence we now see on Earth. But that is very hard to say with any
confidence, of course...

-- Ben