Objective versus subjective reality: which is primary?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 00:26:59 MDT

This brief, informal philosophical essay (on the relative primacy of
objective vs. subjective reality) may serve to annoy objectivists and
empiricists on this list:

http://www.goertzel.org/blog/blog.htm

;-)

Warning: the essay is not about technology hardly at all. But I guess that
issues of the nature of reality are relevant to the Singularity. Since one
of the key aspects of the Singularity is that reality as we know it may
cease to exist, it seems relevant and worthwhile to think about the extent
to which reality exists in the first place.... (And it turns out that, in
my experience, this kind of deep philosophical exploration is actually often
useful for guiding scientific thinking about concrete and important topics
in AI and cognitive psychology....)

-- Ben G