Re: Acceptance of death

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 11:52:10 MST

Martin,

I am less confident about the rate of biomedical research than you. I do
some work in the bioinformatics area, including some aging-related genomics
research, and to me it seems that a radical-longevity-enabling breakthrough
within the next 20 years is quite possible. But of course whether it will
be 20 or 50 or 80 years is not possible to say with any confidence.... It's
clear we are making great strides each couple years toward understanding the
mechanisms of human aging, but equally clear that we're not going to have
the immortality pill within the next few years, there is too much that's not
understood....

A good site on longevity research (though I don't agree with all his ideas
by any means) is that of Aubrey de Grey, see:

http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/sens/index.html

Personally I am putting most of my effort into the AI domain as I also think
an acceleration in the rate of progress is the way to go. But I wouldn't
count out biomedicine so confidently either...

-- Ben G