RE: Why I donate to the SIAI

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 12:23:57 MDT

Hmmm..

I like the concept, but, it's hard to see how the potential annihilation of
human life can be made psychologically comfortable to the great unwashed
masses ;-) ...

Let's face it, unless you have a very high level of Zen detachment from
yourself and your family and friends and planet, the Singularity is
*scary*...

I think a better approach is to build public enthusiasm for
Singularity-supporting technologies, but for reasons that have nothing
transparently to do with the Singularity.

It seems more hopeful to me to build public enthusiasm for AGI research
based on the potential of AGI for, say, biomedical or counterterrorism
applications, than based on the potential of AGI for the Singularity....
Public enthusiasm for AGI research based on such applications would result
in more AGI funding which would move us toward the Singularity.

-- Ben