RE: Why I (will) donate to the SIAI

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 16:42:55 MDT

> I like the concept, but, it's hard to see how
> the potential annihilation of
> human life can be made psychologically
> comfortable to the great unwashed
> masses ;-) ...
>
> Let's face it, unless you have a very high
> level of Zen detachment from
> yourself and your family and friends and
> planet, the Singularity is
> *scary*...

I don't think I possess this 'very high level of
Zen detachment' at all. What I have, which I
recall Eli shares, is a conviction that the human
race is almost guaranteed to self-destruct unless
a successful Singularity changes the dynamics
presently in motion. The window is high, but when
the house is on fire, you jump.

I do intend to send down some money, but up here
in Massachusetts, the living isn't cheap. I have
been frantically trying to get a job transfer to
someplace farther south so there would be a few
bucks in my mattress at the end of the month. I
sure as hell don't want to be here when heating
oil hits four dollars a gallon. In the meantime,
I shall try to have a yard sale or something and
forward the proceeds. Eli's appeal did touch my
heart.
Tom Buckner