Re: SIAI: Donate Today and Tomorrow

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 12:08:40 MDT

On Oct 22, 2004, at 2:46 PM, TC wrote:
> It also occurs to me that there are a great many millionaires in the
> world.
> Rather than soliciting donations piecemeal from average-income
> enthusiasts,
> isn't it possible that time would be better spent targeting well-off
> eccentrics and shooting for a couple million in one clean sweep?
> There are
> plenty of people rich enough to not even notice that kind of money, or
> are
> already looking for tax-deductable charities to dump it on. A lot of
> them
> are in the tech sector, too, so I would imagine they're be more
> predisposed
> to this kind of thing.

Most millionaires acquired and kept their millions by having a good
sense of ROI. Dumping money into SIAI does not have an obvious ROI
worth the risk of millions of dollars. One can easily see how someone
might come to a very different conclusion from that calculus and even
fund a completely different tack in the same space. Even if they
understand the nature of the problem and what SIAI is trying to do.
And in fact, there is a fair amount of evidence that this is what is
actually happening.

j. andrew rogers