Re: Cognitive Systems Conference, CCortex, and alternative friendliness aproaches

From: Harvey Newstrom (mail@HarveyNewstrom.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 10:33:45 MDT

Eugen Leitl writes:

> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 04:25:40PM -0500, Bill Hibbard wrote:
>
>> I discuss this issue in my book, Super-Intelligent Machines,
>> and other writings. It seems to me that efforts to control
>> nuclear, biological and chemical weapons are a healthy
>> precedent for controlling AI weapons. I agree that the debate
>
> A healthy precedent for AI containment would be the state of the art in
> IT security... which is not so healthy.

I agree. That is why I have focused my career in IT Security. It seems to
be the primary prerequisite to moving the current state of technology into
the future of super-technology. (In my not-so-humble opinion....)

As for the state of the art of IT Security being unhealthy, I would waffle a
little bit. There is much more security available than is being used. Most
people use Microsoft Products which are universally recognized in the
security industry as the worst examples of security. People could easily
achieve magnitudes of improvement if they wanted to. If we really applied
known security practices to everyday technology, I am not sure how many
problems would be left. Certainly a small percentage, and probably into the
realm of industrial espionage and international spying. Petty hacking,
spyware and identity theft that effect every-day people could be easily
solved if people really wanted to solve them.

 --
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
<HarveyNewstrom.com>