Re: qualia again (and again and again)

From: Samantha Atkins (sjatkins@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 23:52:40 MDT

How is it relevant for a bunch of decidedly amateur philosophers to
chase what is morality or qualia and so on around in circles? If the
problem of rational ethics is going to be solved I expect it will be
solved by persons who dedicate more time and care to the subject than
any of us are likely to. I also suspect that the solution will not be
arrived at in an e-mail exchange.

I know precisely why I am displeased with qualia based morality. It
is devoid of any real connection to what I consider morality to be.
It is also rather non-objective in that qualia are not even suitably
defined and what are and are not "positive" qualia seems to be
somewhat subjective to the sentients experiencing them.

If we can't tell when a proposed answer to the question of objective
ethics/morality is not at all adequate, then why should we believe
ourselves capable of addressing this question successfully in this
format?

I hope your last few statements above are pure sarcasm. If not then
they may represent the most self-centered, narcissistic sentiment I
have ever encountered.