Re: Qualia feel good?.

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 10:52:09 MDT

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 "Elias Sinderson" Wrote:

> you (a) admit that you have no definition of what
> qualia are and (b) question >whether anyone does,
> you somehow maintain that we should all be able
> to agree what they are? This
> position is simply illogical

It is illogical only if you assume that definitions are the only way we
can communicate ideas, but they are not, in fact they are not even very
important. Most people on this planet could not give you a good non
circular definition of anything if their life depended on it but they
communicate just fine because examples are vastly more useful and are at
the root of definitions anyway; how do you think dictionary makers get
the knowledge to write their book?

John K Clark