Re: right of withdrawal

From: Jef Allbright (jef@jefallbright.net)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 18:30:13 MDT

Brent Thomas wrote:

> Having followed some of the recent volition discussions I thought it
> might be interesting and appropriate to have codified (specified as a
> supergoal?) into the
> (yet to be developed) fai's interaction with sentients protocols a
> 'right of withdrawal'
>
> Presumably by the point that this interaction becomes worth discussing
> the (hopefully) fai has access to technologies (probably self
> developed) which allow it to control and manipulate the human
> environmental space. Any sentient capable of expressing the desire to
> be 'left alone' should be provided with sufficient personal space and
> supportive environmental conditions to 'live out their lives' as they
> wish without the oversight, modification or interference by the fai.
> This could be a separate 'no interference zone or enclave' or perhaps
> a mobile field/area around the sentient. It (presumably) goes without
> saying (although I will say it) that although the 'withdrawn' sentient
> is ensured that it will not be affected by the FAI (within its
> enclave) it should nevertheless be prevented from adversely affecting
> those within the 'consilience' of the fai (i.e. those joined to the
> fai and the collective volition). Additionally the sentient at any
> time should be able to 'emerge' from the withdrawn state as should any
> descendants of the sentient.
>
> I haven't really seen this view directly published (although it
> follows logically and is somewhat akin to the 'last judge' sentiment -
> however directed on an individual ongoing basis instead of at the fai
> process level) although it might be assumed to follow directly from
> the concept of volition.

I think Greg Egan's _Permutation City_ epitomized the solopsist ideal of
being able to live one's life enclosed in an environment of one's choice.

Damien's _Transcension_ and David Zindell's _Neverness_ and _Broken God_
on the other hand, may be closer to what you had in mind, with a
separate society decreed to be off-limits and expected to be safe from
the contaminating effects of advanced technology.

Vernor Vinge offered another idea, but I can't think of the title right
now, where people could enter a stasis bubble and then "time-travel" by
waiting a set period and then exit into a future time at which the odds
of having any neighbors might be very small.

- Jef