Re: Volitional Morality and Action Judgement

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 06:39:09 MDT

Michael Wilson wrote:

>>Eliezer, I have a feeling that soon enough the reality itself, the
>>Ultimate Truth Compiler, will teach you a thing or two about modesty.
>>Especially when you'll try to compile LOGI or any similar type of
>>document based, IMO, on good deal of guesswork.
>
> Please wait while I finish giggling.
>
> Ok, done.

(The reason why Wilson is giggling is that Wilson used to lecture me
condescendingly on my lack of implementation experience and my slide into
abstract theory, using much the same words, until one day he realized that
I had been right all along. Then he kept on lecturing me in a
condescending tone of voice until I won the next five successive arguments
with him, at which point he generalized over past experience and realized
that Eliezer is *always* right. Or at least he hasn't been lecturing me as
much lately.)

> I'm afraid the sad truth of the matter is that reality appears to be
> on our side. :)

Argh. You can't say that until you do the experiment, dammit. Moderate
weight of theoretical expectation, yes. Experimental confirmation, not
yet. (Furthermore you really, really, really DON'T WANT to get
experimental confirmation on how a UFAI goes foom.)