Re: Volitional Morality and Action Judgement

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 17:30:52 MDT

--- Paul Hughes <psiphius@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Eliezer Yudkowsky <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:
>

> > And ya know
> > what? I'm arrogant. I'll try not to be an
> arrogant
> > bastard, but I'm
> > definitely arrogant... I will try
> > not to be such an ass as
> > Newton, try hard not to actually *hurt* anyone,
> but
> > let's face it, I am not
> > one of the modest geniuses. The best I can do is
> > recognize this and move on...
> > Isn't it enough that we save
> > the world? Do we have to
> > be frickin' *modest* about it? Now that just
> seems
> > unreasonable. How are
> > we supposed to stay sane?
>
> So, are you saying that you are not sane?
>
> You seem to be admitting that you are both rational
> AND irrational. Emotional outbursts, arrogance,
> self-descriptors of "MAD scientists" all indicate
> some
> kind of irrationality and insanity, while you
> simultaneously say rationality comes easy to you.
>
> Could you please explain the discrepancy?
>
> Paul

Everyone who crossed paths with Reinhold Messner
thought him arrogant. But he climbed Nanga Parbat and
a bunch of the other 8000 meter peaks alone. Not with
twenty other people, not with Sherpas at his side.
Alone. Like it or not, nobody who didn't climb the big
ones alone could really judge Messner. I'd rather have
arrogant Messner than no Messner at all.
Tom

=====