Re: American Humanists Association 2004 conference report - complete!

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 01:00:49 MDT

This is *so* off-topic. I call upon the moderators to chastise me for
replying to it.

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 06:20:18PM +1200, Marc Geddes wrote:
> On May 11, Michael Anissimov wrote some stuff that Marc Geddes did not
> properly attribute:
[blah blah Las Vegas bad blah blah]

I would like to go on the record as being morally offended by the text I
just snipped.

> People who gamble made an act of volition. Surely we should offer
> them more gambling opportunities, since gambling is obviously what
> they want, and according to Eli: 'People should get what they want'?

Of course. The fact that people might be stupid enough to destroy their
lives with <insert bad thing here> imposes no compunction on me help
them avoid it.

> Both prostitutes and their clients are engaging in volitional
> consensual actions. Surely we should be aiming to set up harems all
> over the place, since sex is obviously what they and according to
> Eli: 'People should get what they want'?

Absolutely; I consider the lack of open prostitution one of the most
obvious evils of modern American society. That's not a joke or an
exagerration.

> Actually, if we believe volitional morality we should all become drug
> dealers, because there's a huge demand for hard drugs, a serious lack
> of supply, and according to Eli: 'People should get what they want'?

The only thing worse than America's refusal to legalize prostitution is
its refusal to legalize drugs. The fact that a country that went
through Prohibition is stupid enough to try it *again* is so amazing to
me that I sometimes want to weep. If you think I'm joking, you might
want to start with http://www.sentencingproject.org/,

> Forgive my sarcasm.

I had no idea you were being sarcastic until you pointed it out.

I had honestly forgotten that intelligent people could *not* agree with
your statements. I'll try to do better in the future.

(My apologies for the USA-centrism, but the stupidities of these
activities are just more *obivous* here.)

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/  ***  I'm a *male* Robin.
"Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple