Re: American Humanists Association 2004 conference report - complete!

From: Marc Geddes (marc_geddes@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 02:28:30 MDT

 --- Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org>
wrote: >

> Absolutely; I consider the lack of open prostitution
> one of the most
> obvious evils of modern American society. That's
> not a joke or an
> exagerration.

> The only thing worse than America's refusal to
> legalize prostitution is
> its refusal to legalize drugs. The fact that a
> country that went
> through Prohibition is stupid enough to try it
> *again* is so amazing to
> me that I sometimes want to weep. If you think I'm
> joking, you might
> want to start with
> http://www.sentencingproject.org/,

I don't disagree with you at all.

My objection to volitional morality is more subtle.
There is in moral philosophy a distinction known as
the Acts/Omissions distinction. This distinction says
that there is a moral difference between passively
letting something happen, and actively helping it
happen.

I have no problem with legalized drugs and
prostitution. I think people should have a right to
do these things if they so choose (Omission). What I
would have a problem with is actively supporting pimps
and drug dealers (Act). See the difference?

=====
                                      - Gen. John Stark

"The Universe...or nothing!"
                                      -H.G.Wells