Re: AI timeframes

From: Tomaz Kristan (me2icq@icqmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 13:38:42 MDT

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Thomas Buckner
wrote:

> > Thus I project a range of 10-30 years in total from
> > now.
> >
> > Daniel

I have seen enough history to conclude, that the US
government has no other choice, than to start a
Manhattan size SAI project, before someone else "launch
a Sputnik" or something much, much more sinister or
dangerous.

Soon after 2008, if not even before that date, uncle
Sam is going to join the game. The US federal
government just can't be a late comer to the arena.
Because this time will be no second chance to prevail,
as it always was. (Pearl Harbor, space race, 9/11 ...)

What we are waiting for, is a Szilard like figure, who
will be able to persuade some key politicians, that it
is (maybe) a feasible thing. And that therefore, it's
too risky to wait any longer. Less than 10 years after
(what is approximately 2018), we will witness the
result.

It is nearly bound to happen - precisely this way.
IMHO. And I have no problems with this scenario. On the
contrary!