Re: AI timeframes

From: Elias Sinderson (elias@cse.ucsc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 20:46:55 MDT

Tomaz Kristan wrote:
> I have seen enough history to conclude, that the US
> government has no other choice, than to start a
> Manhattan size SAI project [...] And I have no
> problems with this scenario.

I completely agree with your premise of governmental intervention into
any such efforts but question your acceptance of this scenario, as
governments the world over and throughout history (the US government in
particular) have shown themselve to be anything but benign.

Have you fully considered what the US government would most likely do
(read: military applications) with the successful result(s) of such a
project? Note that I wouldn't feel any more more secure if the project
were to be entirely privately funded. Seriously considering the outcome
of either of the above situations should only serve to underscore the
importance of 'friendliness'being part of the overall equation.

IMHO, the best way to guarantee this being the case is by assuring
transparency of the research efforts coupled with independent oversight
(perhaps by an international body, although I find it completely
unlikely that this would be accepted by the US government).

Regards,
Elias