Encouraging a Positive Transcension

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 08:57:11 MST

FYI,

I've gotten some useful comments from Michael Vassar and Philip Sutton on my
essay, which will be incorporated into a revision of the paper.

These pertain to

-- the possible interest of Conservation (of past patterns in the universe)
as a core value, in addition to choice, growth and happiness

-- the inclusion of the possibility of an MNT/biotech-based Big Brother as
opposed to an AGI Big Brother (Michael feels this would pose less of an
existential risk; I strongly disagree as I don't trust any humans to run a
Big Brother organization. Trusting humans to build an AGI-based one is also
very chancy, but in my view less so.)

I'll wait to see what other useful suggestions emerge before issuing a
revision, though...

ben g