Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Randall Randall (randall@randallsquared.com)
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 18:45:24 MST

On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 07:45 PM, Tommy McCabe wrote:

> As smart as we are? General intelligence only
> developed a few hundred thousand years ago. Since when
> is there any evidence that we can't get any smarter?

Well, there is mild evidence. Anecdotally, at least,
those with very high intelligence are prone to various
other mental problems.

While one can argue that the haphazard design of human
brains makes them susceptible to errors at high complexity
that generic intelligences need not exhibit, the reverse
is also a possibility. That is, it might be that the
structures required for anything we'd recognize as a
person are necessarily limited in complexity.

Anyway, I have a suspicion (not really well defined in
my mind yet) that the universal failure of command
economies is telling us something fundamental about
complexity in our universe.

--
Randall Randall
randall@randallsquared.com