Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 03:39:07 MST

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:45:24 -0500
Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 07:45 PM, Tommy McCabe wrote:
>
> > As smart as we are? General intelligence only
> > developed a few hundred thousand years ago. Since when
> > is there any evidence that we can't get any smarter?
>
> Well, there is mild evidence. Anecdotally, at least,
> those with very high intelligence are prone to various
> other mental problems.

In brains designed within an evolved biological being, yes. So what though? Would you argue that only evolved biological beings can be intelligent?

> While one can argue that the haphazard design of human
> brains makes them susceptible to errors at high complexity
> that generic intelligences need not exhibit, the reverse
> is also a possibility. That is, it might be that the
> structures required for anything we'd recognize as a
> person are necessarily limited in complexity.

That is not precisely the reverse. What we recognize as a person is a very different discussion from what is the limit of our possible intelligence which is a very different discusion from what is the limit of intelligence universally.

> Anyway, I have a suspicion (not really well defined in
> my mind yet) that the universal failure of command
> economies is telling us something fundamental about
> complexity in our universe.

Hmmm, this looks like another off-track bit of analogical cogitation to me.

- samantha