Re: First replicable human IE?

From: Damien Broderick (damienb@unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 20:19:15 MDT

At 06:49 PM 6/21/03 -0500, Brian wrote:

>Is it just me or does the procedure followed in these experiments suffer
>both from letting the subjects pre-practice the task to be measured, and
>also probably a significant placebo effect?

The first part's not just you, because the article itself quotes someone
saying: ''If you drew 20 cats one after the other, they'd probably get
better anyway.'' But that's not very compelling. Try it and see. Trial
pre-practise just doesn't work to this extent.

Snyder's model implies that we can temporarily recover access to
preliminary aspects of perceptual functioning by suppressing some neural
processing. This reminds me of Zen and other procedures of deliberate
nescience. Not so much ZEN FOR DUMMIES as DUMMIES VIA ZEN. Ah-hah!

Damien Broderick