RE: Singularity Institute - update

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 13:06:47 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> Everything James Rogers says is also correct. (Except that I
> hope the
> tome won't be all *that* immense. Perhaps this is merely
> foolish idealism
> on my part.)

The only reason I stated that it would be "immense" is that I started on a
project to write a proper treatise on the subject. A few tens of pages into
it, I realized that it would require several hundred pages to build a really
thorough conceptual framework from the ground up. That may or may not be
"immense" to you, but it was enough for me to drop the idea and to decide to
spend my time on other things. :-)

I'm guessing it would take a book on the order of GEB in size to do well.
At the speed with which I write finished copy, that would take me a couple
years even if I had the time to devote to it.

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com