Re: Infinite universes and Corbinian otaku

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 10:42:58 MDT

Clarifying note here: The "Corbinians" are indeed named after Lee Corbin,
but no malice of any kind is intended. Lee Corbin is the only person I
know of who says that people should have the right to do as they wish with
any computing power they own, including running simulations, and that
neighbors have no business intervening. Lee Corbin is consistent about
this; if I recall correctly, he even said that if he himself turns out to
be a simulation, he feels it's within the rights of the simulator to
simulate him.

This led me to speculate that most of the universe is made up of copies of
Lee Corbin, since only he can be consensually simulated.

Thus, whenever I devise a thought experiment in which some person is
duplicated, split, folded together, et cetera, I always name the main
character "Corbin". By extension, an entire species which holds a
morality such that they allow arbitrary simulations should be called
"Corbinians".

For a Corbinian to simulate Kagome and Inuyasha, per Mazanec's question,
he/she/ve would presumably have to be an "otaku" (hardcore anime fans). I
have no idea whether Lee Corbin himself is an anime fan. I'm just
pointing out that the presumably infinitesimal measure of Inuyasha in the
multiverse is probably dominated by Corbinians who happen to be otaku,
however few or however many of them there may be.