RE: [JOIN] ktpr joining the list and possibly interesting insight

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 19:03:23 MST

I'm familiar with this stuff; I read Pribram's "Brain and Perception" very
carefully some years ago, and talked to him about it at length once...

I think it's a very deep and interesting, though somewhat speculative,
theory of human perception, especially applicable to visual and auditory
perception. I'm more skeptical about Pribram's ideas the more they verge on
the cognitive rather than purely perceptual domain...

It may be that the brain somehow DOES use a Fourier or wavelet transform to
represent abstract concepts, though. A neuron translates intensity of input
into frequency of output and in this sense it automatically operates in the
"frequency domain," in a limited sense.

Of course, even if the brain uses this mechanism, this doesn't imply that
AGI's should do so.

And, it's far from understood how the brain might use this kind of
representation for abstract stuff...

-- Ben