[JOIN] ktpr joining the list and possibly interesting insight

From: Kwame Porter-Robinson (ktprktpr@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 16:49:55 MST

About me:

I have a degree in Computer Science and Graphic
design. I am a self employed 3d modeler/texturer. I am
22 years old. I live in Rhode Island, if that matters.

---
Mr. Yudkowsky (and SL4 if appropriate),

    The requirements for concept functionality and the
beginning section of 2.5 in LOGI may be approached in
a large part by the Holographic Brain Theory [Karl
Pribram]. Please hear me out because this might prove
to be a valuable insight.

Please take a look at:
http://www.acsa2000.net/bcngroup/jponkp/

"This paper will discuss in detail the concept of a
holograph and the evidence Karl Pribram uses to
support the idea that the brain implements holonomic
transformations that distribute episodic information
over regions of the brain (and later "refocuses" them
into a form in which we re-member)
Holonomic theory where Fourier-like transformations
store information of the sensory modalities in the
spectral (or frequency) domain. The sensory stimulus
is spread out (or distributed) over a region of the
brain. A particular example (in the case of vision)
would be that particular cortical cells respond to the
spatial frequencies of the visual stimulus."

---

While I was reading LOGI I got a "memory flash" of
reading The Holographic Universe, a book that covers
holographic theory in part. My intuitive response to
the points in "A constructive account of concepts and
symbolstuff would need to supply:," is that a
holographic structure would be useful:

A. Holographic patterns can be superimposed over
another to determine similarity, as in comparing two
sheets of acetate. If concepts are encoded as
patterned representations of sensory imagery (Fourier
form, etc.) then concepts could be compared instantly
for similarity or differences. If concepts were
(spatially or otherwise) structured in somewhat, the
quality and nature of difference could be determined
by a mere glance. (well... perhaps).

B. Holographic representations include the whole
structure in every portion. A symbolstuff
representation encoded holographicly, somehow, would
contain (however precisely) the whole. In this sense
such a symbolstuff representation would definitely
have internal complexity because it could access any
part of the whole from within (via an inverse
transform function). Now whether this kind of
complexity is useful is another story. I believe a
richness is needed, not a quantitative aspect.

C. I'm not sure how you would manipulate set of
sensory experience to abstract new concepts but if
difference/similarity operations and a holonic context
is needed, a holographic representation would provide
this very efficiently.

Again, this was just a flash of insight and I hope
it's somewhat useful.

thank you for you time,
Cheers
ktpr