Re: Multiple Future Bens

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 01:52:32 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> In part, the "5 Bens" thought-experiment is an answer to people who view
> there as being a *dichotomy* between
>
> * the quest for infinite intelligence and total transcendence of the human
> domain
> * respect, admiration and love for the human domain, as expressed by a
> desire for its continuance and gradual enhancement

One can love and respect soemthing that one personally no longer
has any deep desire to continue to experience. It is also
possible to respect and love something that is finite, that
eventually is only a memory. But in truth I see little more
reason to which for an indefinite continuance of the current
human condition than I see to wish for an indefinite continuance
of adolescence.

- samantha