BOOK: Why We See What We Do

From: Emil Gilliam (emil@emilgilliam.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 18:14:15 MST

"The human visual system does not generate a picture of what actually exists
in front of the viewer at any given moment, asserts a new book by
neurobiologists at Duke University Medical Center.

"Rather, the researchers theorize that evolution -- as well as individual
experience during development -- have created a visual system in which
perceptions represent what a given visual stimulus has typically signified
in the past, rather than simply representing what is presently 'out there.'

"Despite the seemingly commonsensical belief that everyday experience with
visual perceptions corresponds precisely with the characteristics of the
'real world,' in Why We See What We Do: An Empirical Theory of Vision
(Sinauer Associates, 2003), Dale Purves and Beau Lotto provide detailed
scientific evidence to the contrary. ... "

http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/news/newsrelease.asp?id=1290&catid=2&cpg=newsre
lease.asp