Re: Another Take on the Fermi Paradox

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 10:55:17 MST

On Thursday, December 26, 2002, at 08:30 AM, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> What's interesting to me about Gordon's claim that "I feel like I am
> very
> real" is WHAT THE HECK IS THE _DEFINITION_ OF REAL YOU'RE USING???

`Real' was probably the wrong term. I mean that I feel like I'm alive
(as opposed to the situation with a rock, which does not feel alive).
Also, unlike, say, a blob, I experience the world. I don't just feel
pain, I *experience* pain. I know that I'm alive. I don't feel just
pain, I feel bad that I feel pain. I suffer, unlike a blob that feels
things but doesn't experience suffering.

I didn't mean that I feel real as in I feel like I'm not in a
simulation (that doesn't even make sense).

--
Gordon Worley                          "Man will become better when
http://www.rbisland.cx/                 you show him what he is like."