Re: Re[6]: continuity of self [ was META: Sept. 11 and Singularity]

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 08:53:23 MDT

On Tuesday, September 17, 2002, at 10:00 AM, Chris Rae wrote:

> I think it's valuable to introduce people to the general concepts that
> the singularity will provide, such as abundance.

http://sysopmind.com/archive-sl4/0205/0143.html

This story by Mike Deering should help explain why trying to get the
populace comfortable with the Singularity now is not necessary. The
Transition Guide will take care of it if there's anything of which needs
taking care.

> I don't trust centralized control as far as I can kick it! Openness is
> the key.

There is no Singularity Command and Control. We may joke from time to
time about there being a Conspiracy, but there isn't actually one. Each
of us is open about what it is safe to be open about. I don't go around
telling everyone that <mumble mumble mumble> because it might add to our
opponents. In the same way, I don't solicit funds for SIAI from people
who would likely oppose the Singularity and GAI without knowing about
<mumble mumble mumble>. Of course, I expect it will go like with
cloning: no one will care until we have a human level AI.

--
Gordon Worley "Man will become better when
http://www.rbisland.cx/ you show him what he is like."