Re: continuity of self [ was META: Sept. 11 and Singularity]

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 09:29:55 MDT

Chris Rae wrote:

> I guess that's a matter of personal preference. I personally consider
> the first priority of the singularity should be to lift the poorest
> people of the planet out of poverty.

That's *everyone*. Get a sense of historical perspective...

Also under the "historical perspective" department, the most important
forms of poverty are not monetary poverty but intelligence poverty,
lifespan poverty, and the lack of other resources which are currently so
hard to obtain that people tend not to think of their absence as "poverty"
but simply "the human condition".