Re: Why do we seek to transcend ourselves?

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 03:00:13 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:
> Eli, a lot of problems are solved by instinct, but I guess you could
> attribute that to intelligence on the species level...
>
> Spiritual traditions teach that faith, clarity-of-mind, etc. -- not
> intelligence -- are the solutions to the essential problems of life.

Faith does not solve any essential problems of life except not
being terrified by your own mortality. But that is not a
solution to the problem of mortality as much as an anasthesia.
Clarity of mind is extremely useful and a concomittant of
intelligence. It is certainly not restricted to spiritual
traditions.

> I define "intelligence" as "the ability to achieve complex goals in complex
> environments". However, what many spiritual traditions would say is that
> the complex goals are not the important ones...

Dichotomizing between complex and simple goals is neither
spiritual or intelligent. :-)

- samantha