Re: Zen and the Singularity

From: Damien Broderick (d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 00:56:42 MDT

>If *our* God was proven to exist then how would an AI relate
>to it (being likely that *our* god would not be *its* god).

What is this, the third millennium BCE? Metaphysics has moved on a few
steps since household and tribal gods. The term `God' allegedly denotes a
primordial Being that is (quite literally, modulo Trinitarianism) a
metaphysical singularity. If a God is determined to Exist, and to have
designs upon us, that must apply to worms, snails, humans, AIs, Martians,
black hole meme constructs, and probably the Omega Point Entity.

If an AI can't reason its way to such a supernal and omnipresent Dasein,
it'll be because `God' actually is an empty term, not because the AI's
enquiring mind was assembled by humans rather than inside humans.

Damien Broderick