RE: Who will launch the Singularity?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 16:42:41 MDT

Who will launch the Singularity?
Rafal,

History shows that throwing money at a problem is not always the best way to
solve it!

This is why these days, major software firms tend to effectively outsource
most of their software R&D to startups -- acquiring those startups that have
produced something clearly valuable.

There is a lot of power in a small, tightly-knit team that has deep common
understanding. Especially in the domain of software. (And yes, I
understand that AGI is not just a software problem, but still, much of the
practical work of making an AGI is software work.) Large companies and
government labs have a lot of trouble replicating the innovation that the
best independently-working small teams produce.

I think that when gov't or major companies get into the AGI game, it may
well be by

-- funding academic research groups, or
-- acquiring stakes in, or fully acquiring, small firms doing innovative
research

ben