RE: Military Friendly AI

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 16:28:48 MDT

1) There are clearly problems that have been solved by human groups, but
could not plausibly have been solved by any individual human.... In my own
work, the Novamente team as a group has solved problems that none of us
individually could have solved. I think that collaboration fundamentally
increases the space of approachable problems. how much so, is not easy to
measure!

2) I'm not convinced that AGI or FAI are the most complex problems the human
race has ever confronted. Hard to say, really.... The real difficulty of a
problem is often clear only in retrospect! Are these problems harder than
unifying physics, or figuring out how the genome produces the cell? harder
than inventing quantum theory was? Who knows! This is not a very important
issue though.

ben g